Dec 01, 2023
General Education Curriculum:
- First-Year Seminar
- Expository Writing
- IDS 200 - Encounter with Cultures
- One course in Mathematics
- Science I
- Cultural Heritage I and II - fulfilled by taking MUS 321 and MUS 323
- Health Dynamics
- Basic Studies in Religion, plus one upper level course in Religion
- Second Language - one course at the second semester level
- Social Science, fulfilled by taking EDUC 220 - Educational Psychology , EDUC 221 - Educational Psychology Field Placement
- Senior Seminar - IDS 400-level course
- Global Learning - fulfilled by completing IDS 200 (GLD) and MUS 205 (GLI)
*Placement in Keyboard Skills Courses is by department exam. MUS 197 , MUS 198 and MUS 297 are prerequisites for MUS 298 . There is a separate departmental exam fee for each course. Please check with the Registrar’s Office for the current exam fee.
If you are placed in MUS 198 , then, upon successful completion of MUS 198 and the payment of the departmental exam fee (for 1 course), you will also be awarded the official credit for MUS 197 (1 credit) on your transcript.
If you are placed in MUS 297 , then upon successful completion of MUS 297 and the payment of the departmental exam fees for both MUS 197 and MUS 198 (fee for 2 courses), you will be awarded the official credit for MUS 197 (1 credit) and MUS 297 (1 credit) on your transcript.
If you are placed in MUS 298 , then upon successful completion of MUS 298 and the payment of the departmental exam fees for MUS 197 , MUS 198 and MUS 297 (fee for 3 courses), you will be awarded the official credit for MUS 197 (1 credit), MUS 298 (1 credit) and MUS 297 (1 credit) on your transcript.
Performance - Applied Studies:
- 14 credits in one Applied Music instrument, MUS 161 -MUS 182 .
- Enroll in an ensemble in each of 7 semesters; minimum of 4 credits in ensembles
- At least four semesters of private studio voice
- In consultation with the music education advisors, Vocal Music Education majors will participate in a choral ensemble as a conducting practicum for at least one semester after successful completion of Advanced Conducting.
- Recital performance either in the junior or senior year with a minimum of 30 minutes of music. Students should enroll in MUS 392 or MUS 492 (0 credit) concurrently with Applied Lessons for credit in the semester in which they intend to present a recital. Students should consult with their applied instructor and area head for their specific recital requirements.
Exceptions may be made on an individual basis and must be approved in advance by the head of the music education in consultation with the Department Chair and studio teacher. A student may not perform his/her recital during student teaching- no exceptions.
Music Education (Secondary certification, K-12 endorsement):
Professional Education Courses (secondary certification):
Total Credits = 131-135 Credits